LIFEGUARDS AND SWIMMING INSTRUCTORS
The Arlington Public Schools Lifeguard program offers training in the nationally recognized American Red Cross Lifeguard Program. The course prepares individuals ages 15 and up to become professional lifeguards by introducing them to the concepts and skills necessary to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies in a swimming pool. Class participants must be 15 years of age or older by the last date of the class.
Skills taught include water rescue, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), use of an automated external defibrillator (AED), and first aid. Successful participants will receive American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Course near me, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers, First Aid. Because this is a skills-based training class, participants must attend all class sessions. There can be no exceptions.
To participate in lifeguard course, individuals must be able to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on their backs or sides is not permitted. Swimming goggles may be worn.
- Step into the water for 2 minutes using only your legs. Candidates must place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face can be in or out of the water. Swimming goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound brick.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping your face at or near the surface so they can breathe. Candidates must not swim the distance underwater. Get out of the water without using ladders or steps.
- Blended Learning Class: Training sessions will follow the American Red Cross Blended Learning curriculum. Students will be able to complete a significant portion of the class work online by using a direct link, which will be provided to them after they have successfully completed the pre-course session.
Learn more about swimming: Advantages of Hiring the Perfect Swimming Pool Builders