Hemorrhoids known as piles are a disease of infected or swollen veins that occur either inside the rectum (lower part) or near the anus. That is hemorrhoids are of two types; external hemorrhoids and internal hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are generally caused by obesity (excessive overweight people), pregnancy, lifting heavy objects, sitting for long hours, and doing heavy workouts or exercises. The symptoms of hemorrhoids can include bleeding, pain, itch, irritation, uncomfortable, burning, and difficulty in bowel movements. Many women mostly in their 50s are easily affected by this hemorrhoid as they have a higher risk as compared to men.
However, people do not get serious about hemorrhoids and many of them tend to leave hemorrhoids without treatment. Leaving mild hemorrhoids without treatment is okay as they do not cause any complications to your health. But in the case of severe serious hemorrhoids, leaving them without treatment can cause complications and can even risk your life as they can be a sign of cancer such as colon or anal cancer. So, people should not take hemorrhoids as a minor infection or disease. It is a good time for every person with hemorrhoids in Midwest to find the best Midwest hemorrhoids treatment center.
Here are some of the things that can help you in preventing hemorrhoids. They are as follows:
- One should drink plenty of water daily
- One should eat foods or drink supplement that contains high-fiber
- One should not lift heavy objects
- One should not do heavy workouts or exercises
- One should stop sitting for long hours
- One should stop delaying or holding bowel movements
- One should try losing weight if you are significantly overweight (obesity)
The doctor may perform a visual examination on your external hemorrhoids as they occur in the external areas i.e. near the anus. However, in case of internal hemorrhoids that occur inside the rectum, the doctor may use either digital examination or visual inception to see the internal hemorrhoids. In the digital examination, the doctor may insert his glove-lubricated finger into your rectum. With his finger inserted into your rectum, the doctor may feel something unusual such as growths. While in visual inception, the doctor may insert a special device such as an anoscope, sigmoidoscope, or proctoscope into your rectum. With the help of this device, the doctor can easily see internal hemorrhoids.
Treatment for hemorrhoids
Home remedies can help you in treating your mild hemorrhoids as they help in relieving your mild pain, inflammation, and swelling. The following are some of the effective home remedies available:
- Warm bath: Warm bath is one the effective home remedies that help in relieving pain, uncomfortable, irritation, and swelling. So, soak your bottom in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes every after bowel movements. For soaking your bottom, you can use a sitz bath or your regular bathtub.
- Witch hazel: Witch hazel, a kind of medicine is also one of the effective home remedies treatment for treating external hemorrhoids. This medicine helps in relieving pain, itchiness, inflammation, and swelling.
- Soothing wipes: One can also use soothing wipes to clean your bottom after bowel movements as it helps in relieving irritation and burning caused by using dry toilet paper. However, keep in mind that you should choose soothing wipes that have no harsh chemicals or alcohol.
You can also use a small piece of clothes moistened with water in exchange for soothing wipes to clean your bottom.
- Cold pack: Cold pack is also one of the effective home remedies as it helps in relieving pain, burning, inflammation, and swelling. So, while applying ice or any frozen things onto your hemorrhoids, make sure to wrap them with some clothes. You can apply the ice for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stool softeners: Using stool softeners medicines can help you have easy, painless, and quick bowel movements. It also helps to reduce constipation problems. Stool softeners are now available in capsule, liquid, and powder forms.
Here are the most common effective non-surgical treatment.
- Rubber-band ligation: One of the most commonly used and cost-effective non-surgical treatments for hemorrhoids is rubber-band ligation. In this procedure, the doctor ties the base of the hemorrhoids with a surgical rubber band. This rubber band will stop the blood supply. As a result, the hemorrhoids will become dry and fall on their own. This procedure is used in treating internal hemorrhoids. However, this procedure may leave some scars but is very effective.
- Laser treatment or laser hemorrhoidoplasty: Laser treatment or laser hemorrhoidoplasty is also one of the most effective non-surgical treatments for hemorrhoids. Furthermore, many people and doctors prefer laser treatment over other treatments. This is because no major incision is made in this procedure and also this procedure is very simple and fast.
In this procedure, the doctors use a laser machine that helps in generating energy from the intense light. With this energy, the doctor seals the blood supply. Thus, hemorrhoids will become dry. In this procedure, the anal sphincter and other tissue around the hemorrhoids are not damaged.
There are two types of surgical treatment for hemorrhoids namely
- Excisional Hemorrhoidectomy: The surgeon removes the hemorrhoidal tissue in this procedure.
- Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy: The surgeons remove some portion of the hemorrhoidal tissue while the remaining tissue is lifted in the anal canal and stapled with the stapled tool.