Jaundice is a condition caused when red blood cells die and they leave behind bilirubin(yellow-orange pigment in your blood). The liver filters bilirubin from the bloodstream to be removed in your stool. Whereas too much bilirubin in your liver can lead to hyperbilirubinemia. That eventually causes jaundice and in this condition, your skin and eyes look yellow.
What is the Reason Behind Jaundice?
Several reasons can be behind jaundice. Here we are going to let you know about the reasons that can cause jaundice.
- Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. This can be caused by a specific virus, autoimmune disorders, alcohol use, or chemical exposure. Hepatitis leads to damage of liver cells due to infection. Long-term inflammation eventually causes jaundice.
- Cirrhosis is also caused by autoimmune disorders and with this kind of liver disease, fats build up in the liver that causes liver inflammation which may result in jaundice.
- Alcohol-related liver problems can severely damage your liver. If you are drinking heavily over a long time then it may cause jaundice.
- Blocked bile ducts can also be the reason for jaundice. Bile ducts carry a fluid that is called bile from your liver and gallbladder and send it to the small intestine. If these bile ducts get blocked then the reason behind it is gallstones, inflammations, rare liver disease, and cancer can cause jaundice.
- Blood clots are also the reason behind jaundice. If your body reabsorbs a large clot under your skin then it increases bilirubin levels.
- Certain Medications like penicillin, birth control pills, and steroids are also responsible for liver disease and may lead to jaundice. That’s why it is necessary to consult the Best General Physicians in Lucknow before consuming any medications.
- Pancreatic Cancer is a condition that can be the reason behind jaundice.
What are the Symptoms of Jaundice?
Symptoms of jaundice are fever, stomach pain, itchy skin, weight loss, bloody vomit, dark urine, itching, abdominal pain, tiredness, loss of appetite, pale stool, and chills. It is essential to understand that you can reduce the risk of jaundice by changing your lifestyle factors.
To reduce the risk of jaundice you have to stop smoking regularly, avoid consuming alcohol, do not take high doses of prescribed medicines, maintain a healthy diet, and get all recommended vaccines. While facing serious symptoms you have to take the help of Emergency care services in Lucknow for early treatment and diagnosis.
How to Diagnose the Jaundice?
To diagnose the jaundice you have to get a complete blood count, and blood tests to measure bilirubin and cholesterol levels. A Hepatitis panel is also a blood test that will help in identifying the hepatitis condition in your body. The doctor may advise you to undergo a CT scan, ultrasound, magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography, or MRI that can detect blocked ducts near your gallbladder. A liver biopsy also helps in analyzing the damage to your liver. During a liver biopsy, a needle is inserted through the belly to the liver, with the help of a vein in your neck, or through a cut in your belly.
There are many causes of Jaundice such as Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, alcohol-related liver issues, blocked bile ducts, and high doses of certain Medications. The causes also reflect symptoms like fever, weight loss, bloody vomit, dark urine, itching, abdominal, tiredness, loss of appetite, and more. The risk of jaundice can be decreased by following proper lifestyle choices. It is necessary to consult with a doctor while facing jaundice symptoms and get early treatment under their guidance.